Tuesday, March 18, 2008

30: Door, built-in furniture and other finishing

Ok, so with my camera broken I wasn't able to take any photos of the rest of the process, and furthermore, without pictures to upload I neglected to keep this blog updated. To make a long story short, after finishing the floor by sealing it with boiled linseed oil, I installed the door, built and installed the furniture and put on a few additional finishing touches like windowsills and a little bit of trim (mostly the house is untrimmed).

Installing the door was pretty conventional, although the $300 salvage door handle I got for free gave me quite the headache, until I realized that the plunger that came with it wasn't the right plunger...

The furniture was pretty fun - I had never built any furniture before, so for the most part it was pretty simple and fairly rough. I put in a big desk, a bench for seating, a closet with built in shelves, and the bed. The bed is really the crown jewel of the furniture - it is a queen sized bed on a platform that I suspended on some extra spent climbing rope I had and with climbing pulleys it raises up to the ceiling during the day (with a full 7.5 feet of clearance under it), and then descends down to land on the bench and a foot for sleeping at night. The next post will have some photos of it. This part I did almost all by myself.

Then, I went through and (with help from Jeff and several other people) finished off the outside - putting on the second layer of siding, building a porch, installing the exterior light, trenching to bring permanent power out to the house, and putting on a gutter. Much of this part happened after I moved in.

The next post I make will have a bunch of photos of the finished house.

No comments: